Friday, January 23, 2009

Confessions of a junkie

DARK STAR


KOBUK


Mushing is an addiction. Seriously, I have talked amongst other mushers about this, if you go a couple of days without running the dogs, you almost feel sick. The call of the trail, the power the dogs have over you is immense. When I cannot run the dogs I feel lost. A friend catches a case of PMS at the end of the season, "post mushing syndrome" and its not pretty. Luckily that time is far away and we are enjoying near perfect days on the trail. It would be nice to have a little more snow, but its not bad thanks to all of the hard work that Rick Swenson and Sonny Lindner put into maintaining our trails all winter.




The conditions are not so perfect down in the Mat Su Valley, where the Klondike 300 is held. It is getting colder down there but they need some snow to replace all the snow that melted. The mushers that live in the area have resorted to trucking their dogs to snowier places. So the Klondike has been postponed to Feb. 7th to give mother nature some time to mend the trail.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about the Klondike. I just got back from three weeks in Big Lake. I went there to train when it was 50 below at my place in Fairbanks. It was nice until the rain came. I still trained, albeit short runs, in the ice and water until I couldn't take it anymore. I just got back and ran in the Whites, where it is perfect. Home sweet home. Peace out, Jillian

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Whether your are a mushing expert that has some input for us or a fan that just wants to gives us kudos, your comments mean a lot to us!